Party Decor


Washington 500

July 25th, The Washington 500

What was looking to be like a spectacular day of racing turned out instead, to be a very, long day. The TVM, Lady Eagle Safetywear, K&N, Butler Built Seats, Firedown Graphics, Speedway Performance, Massage Envy #94 race car was entered in two classes: the Super Late Model division and the NW Tour division.
To race with the NW tour we took 100lbs off the race car. After passing tech and qualifying, the cars were impounded until it was our turn to take the stage. The SLM were scheduled first for the evening’s events and then the NW Tour was to follow. Since I am under contract to race 18 SLM races, this schedule would work well, but with bad weather approaching the track officials opted to run the NW Tour cars first. I needed to make a big decision. Do I want to risk racing with the tour? The inclement weather could be a factor for accidents on the track. There were 21 cars slated to race. It would be a great opportunity for me, but it came with risks.
I did take the green, but stayed to the back of the pack to get a few practice laps in. It began to rain after lap 12 and the NW Tour race was put on hold.
Once the rain finally stopped and the track was dry, it was back to racing action. Since the track was still a little slick, the officials ran the Street Stocks before sending out the NW Tour, but Car #94 remained in the pits. The tour race was awesome to watch. I really wished I could have been out there racing, but knew that I made the right decision to hold off for the SLM race.
Finally, after a long time waiting, it was our turn to take the green for, what was a scheduled 125 laps but ended up being 51 due to a noise abatement curfew.
Team 94 started out the race in 5th. It is where we stayed for most of the race. A caution flew about mid race, the restart was a bit crazy going down the back straight away and I was hit hard on the left side. Car #94 and Car #48 (my good bud, Tom Hughs) went spinning down towards the inside wall. After a close brush with the wall and more contact with other cars, I managed to keep the purple 94 a rolling! Not for long though!
With about 10 laps to go, I was just holding on and felt my left front slowly going down. The tire finally blew. I quickly headed to the pits and my crew did an AMAZING job of quickly changing the tire, but as fate would have it our night was over. My clutch no longer worked. That was all she wrote!
We ended up finishing 8th and I was really disappointed. My family had joined me for the weekend and I really wanted to show them a great race. My crew had worked so very hard the night before making sure everything was perfect! It was a tough night.
I, once again, owe thanks to my crew. They work nights and spend all their free time working on “The Miss”. We are off now till August 15th and in that time “The Miss” is going to need a makeover. She sustained a lot of damage on Saturday. Thanks for all the hard work everyone!
Powered by Blogger.



Email *

Message *